Tuesday, May 11, 2010

I'm married currently, if my husband & I decided to file our taxes separately, can we file jointly next year?

We are trying to find the best situation for us and we were told that if we file this year married filing separately, then we can never file jointly again? Is this true? I cannot find any info on this online. Any help is greatly appreciated.I'm married currently, if my husband %26amp; I decided to file our taxes separately, can we file jointly next year?
I agree with hrblockrobyn just run the numbers both ways because only then will you see if it would be better to file mfj or mfs. Look at the standard deductions for the both of them. Just remember to remember in the case if you have children do not quote me on it but it might get in the way of your EIC credit.I'm married currently, if my husband %26amp; I decided to file our taxes separately, can we file jointly next year?
I really had to dig to find the answer, but the answer is yes, you can do married joint.


Joint Return After Separate Returns


You can change your filing status by filing an amended return using Form 1040X.





If you or your spouse (or both of you) file a separate return, you generally can change to a joint return any time within 3 years from the due date of the separate return or returns. This does not include any extensions. A separate return includes a return filed by you or your spouse claiming married filing separately, single, or head of household filing status.
no that's not true at all.you'll have the right to file married/joint or married/seperate anytime you'll like.that's the reason you can't find any info online about it,is because it's not true.file whichever way is best for you all.
This is patently not true. Each year you have the choice to file


MFJ or MFS and your choice one year does NOT dictate your


filing status for any future years. My only comment would be to


run the numbers both ways (joint and separate) to make sure


you really want to file separately-the tax rates are generally


higher, you lose most deductions and credits, and if one of you


itemizes, the standard deduction of the other spouse goes to


zero. I grant you that there are valid, non-financial reasons for


deciding to file MFS but be aware you will most likely pay more


in taxes by doing so.





Robyn M.


Enrolled Agent


Master Tax Advisor





**This advice was prepared based on our understanding


of the tax law in effect at the time it was written as it applies


to the facts that you provided.
You can choose each year how you want to file married filing joint or separate so yes you can file jointly next year.








Christine- EA Master Tax Adviser Check out my profile





**This advice was prepared based on our understanding of the tax law in effect at the time it was written as it applies to the facts that you have provided.

No comments:

Post a Comment